Tuesday, October 28, 2008

Week 9 - XML

1. An Introduction to XML
OK ... I haven't felt that the material so far has been over my head until this week. I have zero experience using XML and struggle a little with the basic premise of it. It's not a template or pre-defined set of tags, but is used to identify components of documents by identifying the smaller parts that make them up ... Alright, so it seems XML is used to transport data, not display it? I hope these other readings make the concept of XML clearer for me.

2. A Survey of XML Standards
Yeah, no, this did very little for me. What I get from this is that as technologies develop and become more prevalent, standards develop. In the case of this article and XML, I'm not exactly sure what these standards mean.

3. Bergholz, Andre, "Extending Your Markup: An XML Tutorial" IEEE Computing, July/Aug. (2000)), 74-79.
A-ha! It's beginning to coalesce. The examples of code here really help. So, it seems here that we can consider XSL a template?

4. XML Schema Tutorial
And, I'm buried again ... I'm going to trick or treat and come back to this business ...

No comments: